Daymaker - a person who performs acts of kindness with the intention of making the world a better place.
~ David Wagner
, author of Life as a Daymaker; how to change the world by making someone's day ~

DayMaker - any thought, word, or deed that spreads happiness, compassion, or fruitful ideas.
~ Annis Cassells ~

Friday, January 1, 2021

Moving Onward - 2021


                    


Photo by Bram Naus on Unsplash


Instead of toasting with champagne or watching the clock strike midnight around the globe, I snored the New Year in. Not that I wasn’t interested! I’ve been hoping for and anticipating 2021 since last March when the world went upside down. But when, as my dad would say, “it’s time to go to SleepyTown,” I have to give in and turn in.

But on awakening this morning I thought about The DayMaker.

I wrote no blog posts in 2020, but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t writing. In November of 2019, we lost my sister to cancer. Along with the tears and pain as 2020 began, grief poems and journal entries issued forth by the dozens. Then COVID-19 struck, and in addition to trying to navigate the new parameters and safety protocols, I began a Corona Virus Journal, recording my account of what life looked like for me during this time. And that included several poems as well.

Then the Minneapolis police killed George Floyd, and I began to work on a sheaf of poems around racial justice, equality, and ending police brutality. Along with seven other poets and writers, we put together an anthology inspired by the board-up artwork and photography of the Black Lives Matter protests from around the United States. The title of this stunningly beautiful volume is ENOUGH "Say Their Names..." Messages from Ground Zero to the WORLD. 

Paradoxically, 2020 both hustled along and crawled at a snail’s pace. Travel was curtailed and many activities closed to us, but I look back now and recall my busy-ness and many positive experiences. They begin with the self-care webinar my daughter Asila and I designed and presented several times with my other daughter Amina's assistance. There was the online writing class I began with the encouragement of the North Bend Public Library and continued on my own.

I'm wading through, reading and learning tons about American history and social justice. And, reading contemporary poets whose riveting styles and words illuminate the events of our times.

Through the technology of Zoom, a variety of classes, lectures, readings, and meetings filled my calendar and my need to be “among” people and talk about ideas and feelings. I became more familiar with meditation and learned about and practiced a deeper relaxation Yoga Nidra.

This past week, I had to figure out how to update my website, my hand forced by GoDaddy! But, it’s done and I'm feeling much more competent.

We survived a year like no other, full of challenges and sorrows, joys and blessings, learning, re-learning, and unlearning.  And while many of the stressors are still here, some of the most relentless have gone, or will soon be behind us. We have lots to look forward to and important work to do in 2021.

Starting now, as we embark on this new year,  let’s move onward, together.

~ xoA ~

2 comments:

  1. So important to take the time to reflect on the past year and what's to come at this time. I didn't realize the loss of your sister was so recent. But it sounds like you were prolific in writing through your grief afterwards. And that's such a touching reminder that through all the awful, we really have had a lot of good come of this past year and the experience of Covid. I'm so grateful to have taken your writing workshops and learned so much from them. I'm looking forward to the days after we've been vaccinated when we can renew these bonds of friendship and common interests and the good trouble work to be done in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jenni ~ Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post and sending your thoughtful comment. Yes, the year has been tough, and I feel for all those who've lost loved ones, dealt with COVID-19 personally, and been financially devastated. But, we'd be remiss to overlook the positives that have occurred. Visiting, good trouble, and hugs sound mighty good! Thanks again, Jenni. xoA <3

      Delete