Daymaker - a person who performs acts of kindness with the intention of making the world a better place.
~ David Wagner
, author of Life as a Daymaker; how to change the world by making someone's day ~

DayMaker - any thought, word, or deed that spreads happiness, compassion, or fruitful ideas.
~ Annis Cassells ~

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Dig Deep and Keep Going

June 1st, the beginning of summer and time for our annual trek to Oregon. I was riding my motorcycle, and Judy followed in our car, which was loaded with our summer-living necessities. We’d expected a bit of rain, and I was prepared. The entire day, I wore my rain pants, pulled down over my jeans and boot tops, and my fluorescent yellow rain jacket, velcroed tightly around my neck and sleeves. It did rain off and on, and occasionally, I’d stand on my pegs so the wind would clear the water off my face shield.

By early evening, traveling north through the mountains on I-5, around Mt. Shasta City, the skies darkened and the rains began again. It was noticeably colder, and I thought about changing my gloves. Rounding a curve, just south of Weed, we ran smack into wet, blanketing snow. It had already stuck on the ground and quickly covered my windshield.

Survival mode kicked in immediately. I lifted myself to a squat to see over the windshield. Adrenalin and thoughts exploded. Two motorcycling adages came to mind as I had to take my left hand off the handle grip and swipe snow off my visor: “Slow down and hold tight.” and “Chin up, stay up.” I did both and concentrated on keeping upright. Then, I tried to recall the three Weed exits -- Were the off-ramps curvy? How steep were they?  Where were the motels? 
 
Slowly and steadily, I steered the Goldwing to the North Weed off-ramp, a straight slab of snow-covered cement, where two easy right turns led us into the parking lot of the Motel 6. What a relief! But, I didn’t breathe easily until I was fully stopped, the side stand was down, and the bike was turned off. Then, I climbed off and began shaking. I had made it! I’d kept the “rubber side down” and was safe.
Soaked, but safe, in Weed, California

 When faced with any kind adversity, we all dig deep inside and come up with exactly what it takes to get ourselves through. Each of us has learned from experience and observation and can call on the skills, knowledge and reserves within us, whether the tough situation is dangerous or scary or emotionally risky. I’ve learned that slowing down, holding tight, and keeping my chin up works for almost any challenge. And, as Winston Churchill is supposed to have said, “When going through hell, [we] keep going.”

Have you had any recent storms to weather in your life? What inner resources did you draw upon?
                                                                                ~ xoA ~

4 comments:

  1. First of all, Annis, I'm so thankful you're safe!

    This is such a great example of making it safely through the storms of life. You drew on simple truths that you had learned previously and USED them. Sometimes we learn important emotional safety truths/skills but neglect to use them! I know that, when in an emotional storm of my own, I have to really slow down and remember what I've learned from past similar situations. Do I need to be around more people? Do I need to get more sleep? Do I need to just observe my emotion rather than judge it? And, just like riding a motorcycle, all these things take practice!

    As I try to create my business and online presence, I sometimes find myself full of doubt about my abilities to meet my goals. But, using what I've learned from past experience, I met with a group of women friends known as The Tribe. Together, we looked at an African cosmology that involves determining which element you are: Fire, Water, Earth, Mineral, or Nature. Although I didn't see it at first, my Tribe reflected back to me my strong Fire element, commenting on my power and active, creative mind. This very much empowered me and erased my doubts!

    Bottom line: I have to remember my own lessons to keep my "chin up to stay up"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobbi, I appreciate your thoughtful comments and your sharing what works for you. And, I think you're exactly right; we have to remember to use those lessons learned.

    Love the Tribe idea, and yes, you are Fire.
    xoA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saludos Annis,

    Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful and thoughtful insights into such basic occurrences in life. I am impressed that you have this marvelous gift of extrapolating so much from a common situation. Keep on truck’n and never look back. All is well down here in Mexico and a big Hello to Judy.

    Hasta pronto and God Bless,

    Marty O’Malley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marty, how nice of you to read and comment! Gracias, Amigo. We miss Mexico. Have fun. xoA

    ReplyDelete