Daymaker - a person who performs acts of kindness with the intention of making the world a better place.
~ David Wagner
, author of Life as a Daymaker; how to change the world by making someone's day ~

DayMaker - any thought, word, or deed that spreads happiness, compassion, or fruitful ideas.
~ Annis Cassells ~

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Y is for Yesterdays

Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve
Astride Big Red, the USA was my playground with the back roads and highways reminiscent of the Game of Life, a board game in which players travel life’s roads, dealing with whatever befalls them. The time I spent cycling through life was extraordinary, even the occasional disconcerting or difficult times when the unexpected happened.
Honda mechanic in Greeley, CO, who got me back on the road.
He took the Gold Wing manual home so he could study it
and get me going the next morning.
For 25 years, I biked those roads, sometimes retracing and becoming familiar with them.  I knew to expect high winds on Hwy 40 coming through Amarillo. I learned, when on my way to Oregon at the end of May, I’d feel the sweet relief of coolness just north of Redding, California.

First scooter
The motorcycling years were a time of nurturing the sense of adventure inside me. A time of satisfying my curiosity about this country and places I’d only read about. I became stronger in body and spirit, more knowledgeable about geography, history, and regional cultures. It was a time of exploration and growth and finding out about my skills and capacities, my limits and passions.
Monterey on the California Coast

 Now it’s time to hang up my helmet. I sensed it. I knew it. I grieved it. I’m still grieving it.

Two things have eased the pain of change.  Scanning these past 25 years through photo albums and journal entries, I’ve relived countless memories of my yesterdays as a motorcyclist. Writing this series of blogs to retell my stories and share them with you has helped in my transition to former biker.

Though it’s been a time of letting go, sprinkled with a few tears and lots of smiles, the spirit of WingWoman lives on. And, as my younger daughter said, I will “always be a motorcyclist.”
Coos Bay, Oregon


~ xoA ~

“All my best memories
Come back clearly to me
Some can even make me cry.
Just like befoe
It’s yesterday once more.”
~ The Carpenters


4 comments:

  1. Annis, I know this is a bittersweet time for you. You express it beautifully in this blog. The photos and memories, as well as your recent blog posts, will keep this special time in your life alive! How nice to have such great yesterdays...but even nicer to know there are still wonderful tomorrows ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, thanks for your kind and encouraging words. Yes, honey. Living in the moment as much as I can, but looking forward to all those dandy tomorrows. Hugs and thanks, xoA

      Delete
  2. Annie--I didn't know there was this side to you. Touching blogpost.

    ReplyDelete